Tastebud Diaries Pg1:Steam Fish (2 rice bowls)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




I know "steam" anything sounds drabby but I seriously thought my dad and uncle was taking me to some famous curry fish head restaurant in KL so when the car turned left into some factory-ish lane in a really obscure part of KL, my sisters and I exchanged oh-no-what-did-we-get-ourselves-into looks. "Welcome! girls,to the Jln Gasing 3 famous steam fish stall" Wow, it has an address!Err..ok...now where in the world...OH! There...Wow, even Globe Trekker will be proud of this discovery.

Thank goodness my uncle had sense to bring his camera so while we were waiting to be seated(the place was actually full!), we snapped pics and I tried to find words to describe the place. 'Shack' would be too cruel but with its tin roofing, cement floor, haphazard chairs,tables and dim lighting, 'shack' was the only word. Oh,I did notice a really antique "Drink Coca Cola" sign that was faded and moldy.


Finally, the tauke gestured us in and after a lot of manouevering around tables plus taking extra care not to step into pot-holes of sludge that covered the floor, we finally sat down at a corner table. My back was facing a metal wire fenc and on my left, rusted beams and furniture under a decades-old window. Thanks to my smart dad who ordered food while we were waiting, we did not have to wait long.


Nothing prepared us for the fish!!! It was awesome and I've never been so excited about steam fish before! My dad explained that this dingy place was famous for steam chinese carp. We were treated to one seasoned with minced ginger, soy sauce and finely chopped cili padies and another with spicy-sweet paste. Although I loved the former better, both shared the super-tender texture of perfectly timed steaming with lots of sauce to go around.
We devoured everything edible and tried to put in some good comments about the place like (Dad)"Did you know this place is incredibly efficient and everyone knows what they're doing..." (Uncle)"Chuckle...Chuckle" (Grandpa)"Suet May, you want more rice?" (Me)"Oh no, I'm full..."(Uncle)"LOUD CHUCKLE". Hey, I didn't eat that much but yum yum, I give this place 2 ricebowls( my very own grading system) With better lighting and ambience, they would probably earn another 1/2 to 1 ricebowl from me. I guess this conludes my first page of Tastebud Diaries...suet may @ i'm not jennifer...see ya!


3 Responses to “Tastebud Diaries Pg1:Steam Fish (2 rice bowls)”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Nice blog, check out cyberlinx.us we have over 25,000 articles that you can use on your blog or web site
    home repair
    computers
    food
    free
    Don't forget to check out this great site to Increase your energy thanks

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    starting a foodblog huh? excellent!! i expect very regular posts! the steam fish dishes are so mouth-watering! and this is coming from one who was sick of steam fish!

  3. Blogger debbie 

    put a tagboard! it'll be easier for others to leave messages ;)add me on msn!!!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

I Read These Too

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3